- Step 1Make a balance sheet :
analyze your situation
- step 2Make the point,
analyze your situation
- Step 3 Optimize your budget :
establish a strategy
Get started planning your budget – step by step
Budget planning is an essential part of developing strategies to achieve your short- and long-term objectives (e.g., real estate purchase, education, emergency fund, retirement, travel). This tool gives you a clear picture of your income and expenses so you can tighten your budget and meet your financial goals.
A handy calculator
Download the form to your computer and fill it out to calculate your income and expenses and get an idea of where you stand. You can use this information to set your financial goals.
Note: This step may take some time. Save the form to your computer so you can take a break and then pick up where you left off later on.
Where do you stand?
Once you have a solid picture of your financial situation, read the specific tips below.
- You have the equivalent of six months of gross income in savings.
- You save more than 10% of your gross annual income.
- Your net value is positive.
You are on the right path to financial independence.
- Increase your savings to at least 15% of your gross income.
- Save for retirement.
- Make your money work for you.
- Make sure you always make good financial decisions.
- Your budget balances but you probably have old debt dragging you down.
- You’re saving a little here and there, but you use it to cover unexpected expenses or buy luxury items.
- You would like your net worth to be higher.
Start down the path to financial independence.
- Pay off all your debt
- Consistently save up to 10% of your gross annual income
- Build up a reserve of at least two weeks’ gross income
- You make purchases using a credit card or loan.
- You have trouble following through on your obligations.
- Your net worth is negative.
If you don’t change strategies, you are headed for serious financial trouble.
- Destroy your credit cards and pay for purchases in cash
- Balance your budget, no matter what your income
- Pay off any credit card balances
Optimize your budget
Managing your budget is an ongoing process. Now you know where your current budget is strong and where there’s room for improvement. It’s time to develop a strategy that suits your situation so you can reach your goals and follow through on your plans.
Download the budget worksheet, save it to your computer and fill it out to calculate how much you should be spending.
You can also manage and optimize your budget using Desjardins’s My Budget tool (available in AccèsD).
Speak to an advisor
Our advisors are there to help you manage your budget and make your plans a reality.
Contact an advisor and take advantage of their expertise.
Your caisse is pleased to present the Desjardins financial plan, a concrete action plan developed in conjunction with your wealth management advisor offering guidance on making your plans a reality and managing your money.
- The expertise of an advisor who analyzes your overall financial situation
- Personalized advice and recommendations based on realistic goals
- A detailed action plan with a timetable, which can be adjusted over time
- Solutions that take into account overlaps between your goals and needs
- What you need to help you meet your financial objectives