All it takes to become an elected official is to apply for an open position during the application period. Directors aren’t appointed by senior management or Desjardins Group—they’re elected by the members at the annual general meeting.
The Board of Directors of a caisse
The Board of Directors is composed of 5 to 15 members elected by members at the annual general meeting. Besides attending board meetings, directors can also serve on committees looking into specific issues.
There’s plenty to do. Some of the main responsibilities of the Board of Directors are to:
- Make sure that cooperative values are integral to the Caisse’s practices
- Set the Caisse’s directions and policies, draft the business plan and draw up the operating budget
- Hire and oversee the Caisse’s General Manager
- Control the Caisse’s financial and risk management
- Ensure member satisfaction
- Represent the Caisse in the community and within Desjardins Group
You can at any time show your interest in becoming an elected officer. Do not hesitate to talk to a director, the Caisse’s General Manager or an employee who will guide you.